What Should I Do After A Car Wreck?
At Hay & Knight, PLLC in South Central Kentucky, we have spent over 30 years helping victims of serious car accidents seek justice and compensation for their injuries. We are well-aware of the fact that car wrecks happen in an instant and they can change lives forever.
It is important for all Kentucky residents to know what to do in the aftermath of an accident in order to best protect their rights going forward.
Have you or someone you love been seriously injured in a car accident? Contact us today to learn whether we can be of service to you and your family. We are located in Somerset and handle accident cases statewide. Call 606-263-1695 to speak with a lawyer.
The following are steps to take at the scene of a wreck, and shortly afterward, to ensure you protect your right to pursue a full and fair financial recovery.
- Remain at the scene of the crash. Do not leave the scene of the accident until it is appropriate to do so. When serious injuries or property damage has occurred, it is important to wait for police and/or an ambulance to arrive.
- Seek medical attention as necessary. Check on all drivers and passengers. Call an ambulance for anyone who may need one. It is generally advised not to move people who have back or neck pain, or who are unconscious, without specific direction from qualified medical personnel — unless absolutely necessary due to a hazard.
- Contact the police if injuries or significant property damage has occurred. When police arrive, ask them to file a police report and make note of the names and badge numbers of the responding officers.
- Exchange information with drivers and witnesses. Kindly ask for the contact information and basic insurance information from the other drivers involved. Seek contact information from passengers and other witnesses as well.
- Take photographs. Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and of the scene of the accident.
- Inform your insurance company. Contact your insurance company and explain the facts of the accident. However, be wary of early settlement offers. It is difficult to assess the actual costs of injuries soon after an accident. Injury victims may require more medical care and time off work than they anticipate. You may wish to consider hiring an attorney, or speak to one during a free consultation, to learn about your rights and options before pursuing an insurance claim independently.
In Kentucky, you have the right to direct payment of up to $10,000 in no-fault benefits. When you file your insurance claim, you may decide whether these benefits cover medical bills, wage loss or other damages.
Schedule A Free Legal Consultation
Our legal team helps victims of serious personal injuries, as well as families that have lost loved ones, seek justice and compensation after car wrecks. To learn whether we can be of service to you, please contact us for a free legal consultation. Call 606-263-1695 or submit this form to reach our office.